Friday, June 05, 2009

A week of reading, writing and spelling


So, for those who don't know me, I've been teacher aiding for about 3 years now at Mangere College in....well...Mangere. (It's a high school with about over 700 students) My colleagues and I have been taking charge of the Bannatyne Reading, Writing and Spelling program at the school. We have around about 20 students coming to our unit - 6 periods a week.

This program is meant for your more primary/intermediate school aged students, but we've been given the go ahead to act as guinea pigs (- so to speak) in adapting the program for high school aged students with reading, writing and spelling difficulties.

We've been having a lot of fun adapting this program, because essentially - the sky's the limit. We can do your basic reading a book, writing sentences and spelling words. However we've decided to incorporate cooking, singing, acting, debating and a newspaper club to help teach and implement the Bannatyne program.

So far, we're almost ready to graduate more than half the students back into full mainstream classes, confident that they'll now be able to cope with the reading and writing work asked of them in their core subject classes. (AM I BORING YOU?)

The gist of this post is that, I never ever thought that I was going to ever be a TEACHER. Yet here I am enjoying teaching my students at Mangere College (M.C. Watt!?!) 'Seek the Heights' I made a promise to the current Year 11 - Tonolo Finau that I will continue working at Mangere College until he graduates from high school. (Which will be in 2011, if he can keep himself together and focus on his school work. He said he would if I made the promise to stay on. - I don't like bribing students to learn....but I think it is pertinent that I do so here.)

Stay tuned for more

No comments: